Cooking The South American Way

Beach photo of Mexican Bay

There is nothing quite like watching the sunset along the shore, whether it's Mexico or Hawaii. The view is beautiful, peaceful and serene in "manana land." Viva Mexico! 

I'm linking up to SkyWatch Friday.

Cooking The South American Way: Helga Parnell

Cooking The South American Way by Helga Parnell

 Book Beginnings
http://mixedbookbag.blogspot.com/2012/01/book-beginnings-on-friday-january-27_27.html 

"If you were to create a meal featuring a dish from each country in South America, you'd be savoring some of the best food in the world. The variety of spices, tropical fruits and vegetables, and international influences in South American cooking makes it difficult to label as one cuisine. Each region offers its own special foods to the mix."
-- I love how the book introduces you to Turnovers at the very beginning because they are so popular in South America and quite delicious. They can be filled with beef, chicken or fruit!

Cooking the South American Way (Easy Menu Ethnic Cookbooks)  

Page 56

"These tiny tidbits can be as much fun to make as they are to eat. You can garnish them with almost anything you like, so use your imagination."
-- From Cooking The South American Way (easy menu ethnic cookbooks, revised and expanded to include new low-fat and vegetarian recipes) by Helga Parnell

I'm linking up with The Page 56

Here is an easy 30 min. prep recipe that serves 6 from the book, found on page 56.

Finger Sandwiches/Bocaditos (Argentina)

12 thin slices French bread
1 3-oz. container whipped cream cheese with chives
1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
4 to 6 precooked shrimp
4 cherry tomatoes
4 pimento-stuffed olives, sliced

1. Trim crusts from bread.
2. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on bread.
3. Garnish with cucumber slices, shrimp, cherry tomatoes, and/or olives.

Looking for South American crafts? You'll find some here.

Plus, you might be interested in some South America songs.

The homemade kazoos were received well by the kindergarten class. The children loved to hear the sounds of their voiced being altered. I can't wait to bring them some rainsticks made with an empty paper towel roll, aluminum foil inside and a little bit of rice. Be sure and seal off the ends. I used duck tape!


Rainsticks: LadyDpiano.com


Follow Friday 

Q: Which book genre do you avoid at all cost and why?
A: Murder Mystery... just too darn scary and I have a wild imagination, so it's better for me to stay in the land of children's picture books! lol

Happy Friday! LadyD Books is linking to the following sites,








“You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis
Enhanced by Zemanta

13 comments:

  1. Now I'm hungry! Thanks!! lol

    This sounds like a wonderful book.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST and here’s
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cooking, eating and sampling new recipes from other cultures. Thanks for stopping by. I'll head on over to your post.

      Delete
  2. Love that photo!
    Love South American food too... now my tummy is rumbling... maybe a spanish omelet for brunch will suffice. LOL
    The one genre I can't get into is business. I tried and just can't do it, it's not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE Spanish omelets. Biz is not my thing except for piano business, that I love!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I love South-American food. The flavours are simply the best! Hop on over if you have the time: http://universeinwords.blogspot.com/2012/01/last-friday-of-january.html
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice and delicious :)

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to hear from you. Sounds like you're back... heading over to see!

      Delete
  5. I agree Juli. I never get tired of eating it! I'll head on over now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Like the homemade Kazoos too...love anything musical :) Here is my F56: http://pamelasbookspot.blogspot.com/2012/01/friday-56_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! Thanks for including a recipe and mood music! :)

    ReplyDelete

As always, so nice to hear from you!